WARNING: This article contains graphic images that some may find disturbing
Walkers and gardeners are being warned of the dangers of the common weed, which can cause massive blisters and ulcers, after a dad was left with horrific injuries from coming into contact with the plant while gardening at his home in Wales.
Nathan Davies, 32, has undergone a number of emergency operations and may need a skin graft to repair the damage left by the toxic weed found in Ammanford.
His horrific injuries quickly sparked warnings in Newcastle, with residents being told that there are large parches of Hogweed in Heaton Park.
Meanwhile, residents and councillors in Perth, Scotland, are fighting to wipe out the troublesome plant to prevent another serious outbreak.
Perth City South councillor Willie Wilson has written to landowners asking them to act to prevent the reemergence of the toxic plant.
He said areas around the Craigie Burn were “infested” with Giant Hogweed.
Councillor Wilson told the Daily Record: “Earlier in the spring I wrote to all of the landowners asking them to carry out early spraying of emerging Hogweed.
“This is a third consecutive year that treatments have been undertaken.
“It can take up to five years at least to eradicate giant hogweed and all of the landowners have committed themselves to undertaking work to help in this process.
“My advice to members of the public is not to go near to the plants but to report them to the appropriate landowner or the council.”
Warm weather is said to create the perfect conditions for the hazardous plant, which can be found along footpaths and riverboats in the UK, to thrive.
Giant Hogweed can cause huge blisters and ulcers if it comes into contact with the skin with the venomous sap activating in sunlight.
The plant can even cause blindness if it comes into contact with eyes.
Last year, several children were hospitalised with third-degree burs after their skin was exposed to a stem.
Hogweed looks like the innocuous cow parsley with white flowers clustered in an umbrella-shaped head that is up to 80cm in diameter.
Giant Hogweed was brought over to the UK in the 19th century from Afghanistan and Iraq.
It spits out poisonous sap when touched.
If you come into contact with Giant Hogweed, the NHS advises covering the affected area and washing it with soap and water.
If you begin to feel unwell after contact with Giant Hogweed, you should speak to your doctor.