Many shops will be running a different timetable to usual on Monday to mark this year’s Memorial Day. The annual US commemoration event remembers servicemen and women who have died while serving in the country’s armed forces. This year’s holiday falls on May 27 in keeping with the day being held annually on the last Monday of May. Millions of Americans who mark the day will be stocking up supplies over the weekend.
Many stores have also been luring in shoppers with sales.
Costco is among them with its warehouses opening from 9.30am to 6pm on Saturday, plus 10am to 6pm on Sunday, with a host of deals.
But what time will the department chain be open on Monday?
Unlike many of the larger chains, Costco will be closed on Memorial Day.
The only other major retailer to stay shut over the federal holiday is Tijuana Stores.
But do not worry if you have last-minute supplies to get because there are plenty of other big names such as Walmart and Target who will be open.
Here is a list of the department stores that will be open on Memorial Day:
– Albertson’s: Stores open from 6am to 10pm
– Aldi: Stores open for limited hours
– Kmart: Stores open from 8am to 10pm
– Kroger: Stores open from 6am to 1am
– Publix: Stores open from 7am to 10pm
– Sam’s Club: Stores open from 7am to 6pm
– Save a Lot: Stores open from 8am to 10pm
– Save-Mart: Stores open from 8am to 12am
– ShopRite: Stores open from 6am to 10pm
– Target: Stores open from 8 am to 10pm
– Trader Joe’s: Stores open from 8am to 9pm
– Vons: Stores open from 6am to 12am
– Wegmans: Stores open from 6am to 12am
– Whole Foods: Stores open from 7am to 11pm
What is Memorial Day?
Memorial Day has been a US federal holiday since 1971 but its roots date back to the Civil War.
Ceremonies were originally held to mourn the war dead after the four-year bloody conflict came to a close in 1865.
By the end of the 19th-century, observation ceremonies were widespread throughout the nation.
But it was not until after World War One that the day was expanded to honour military personnel who had died in all American wars.