The Fort Myers city council had swearing-in ceremonies Monday for its new mayor and council members.
Mayor Kevin Anderson, Ward 2 Councilman Johnny Streets, Ward 4 Councilman Liston “Lin” Bochette III and Ward 6 Councilwoman Darla Betzer Bonk were sworn in as they pledged their hands on the Bible.
Here are a few things to know about the new council members and the city.
1. The mayor of Fort Myers is paid an annual salary of $42,419 and serves for four years. Council members are paid $32,630 a year and also serve for four years. There are no term limits.
2. Anderson was sworn in as the 62nd mayor of Fort Myers. Anderson is no stranger to the dais having served since 2018 as councilman for Ward 4. Ward 4 is made up of downtown Fort Myers and much of the McGregor Boulevard corridor.
3. Streets is also no stranger in Ward 2. He has held the seat since 2008. Ward 2 is comprised of the Palm Beach Boulevard corridor and part of Dunbar. On Monday, he had this to say: “What I bring this council as I’ve always brought is stability, integrity, character … This is the people’s city, not ours.” He said he would work for equity and parity for those across the city.
4. Bochette was appointed councilman in 2018 after then-Councilman Mike Flanders resigned to work at the Edison-Ford Winter Estates. On Monday, Bochette, an Olympic bobsledder for Puerto Rico, said he would work hard to leave a footprint that will leave future generations of Fort Myers residents happy. “I will work hard with this council, even in disagreements, because that’s what you asked for.”
5. Flanders passed a literal baton to Bochette after his appointment in 2018. Bochette then passed it to Anderson after his election. On Monday, Anderson handed the baton back to Bochette after Bochette’s swearing in.
6. Betzer Bonk was sworn in on Monday. Betzer Bonk was one of the ffive candidates to run for the seat in Ward 6, the area of town that provides the city with its largest share of property taxes. On Monday, she said she was ready to start working with the rest of council.