Welcome to today’s edition of the Florida Coronavirus Watch Newsletter. Let’s get you up to speed with the latest news of the day from the USA TODAY Network — Florida.
- New cases: 2,371
- New deaths of Florida residents: 94 (36,441 total)
- New hospitalizations: 150 (93,965 total)
- Total cases: 2,304,860
- Total vaccinations: 7,874,202
- Daily percentage positivity rate: 4.55%
- As always, you can access more of the latest updates in Florida here.
Here’s what’s happening around the state
- ‘We want you to celebrate that freedom’: Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a nearly $200 million tax holiday package into law Friday. The new law sets dates for three separate sales tax holidays for this summer, including a new sales tax holiday Florida leaders have dubbed “Freedom Week.” DeSantis said the sales tax holidays will let people take advantage of everything reopening in the wake of the pandemic.
- Paramedics help homebound seniors get their vaccines: Community paramedics are working to ensure that homebound seniors who want a COVID-19 vaccine receive it. The effort is a part of a statewide initiative to increase vaccine access for seniors in Florida with limited mobility.
- Monthly unemployment update: Florida’s unemployment rate inched up to 4.8 percent in April as the state reported people slowly returning to the labor force after more than a year of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Which stores are dropping masks? More stores including Office Depot, Walgreens and McDonald’s have announced they are dropping mask mandates for fully vaccinated shoppers. Here’s the latest.
TGIF. Here’s some good news
Anything else you want to know? Ask your questions here. And finally, thank you for reading. We appreciate you trusting our statewide journalists to keep you safe and informed. If you are encouraged by our work and want to support your local journalists, please consider subscribing. Know someone who would benefit from this newsletter? Forward this email so they can sign up here.
Megan’s note of the day: Well, that’s all for this week. Enjoy your weekend, everyone! Here’s what else is happening with the coronavirus in Florida today.
— Megan Kearney, firstname.lastname@example.org