Welcome to today’s edition of the Florida Coronavirus Watch Newsletter. Let’s get you up to speed with the latest news of the day from the USA TODAY Network — Florida.
- New cases: 2,893
- New deaths of Florida residents: 76 (36,347 total)
- New hospitalizations: 217 (93,815 total)
- Total cases: 2,302,489
- Total vaccinations: 7,792,426
- Daily percentage positivity rate: 3.92%
- As always, you can access more of the latest updates in Florida here.
Here’s what’s happening around the state
- Analysis: In-depth data analysis by the USA TODAY Network — Florida shows a county’s 2020 presidential pick is an outsized factor in its share of residents who have received a COVID-19 shot. Read the full in-depth analysis, for subscribers.
- By the numbers: Florida’s daily percentage positivity rate has dipped below 4%, according to the Florida Department of Health.
- Doctor’s advice on mask changes for parents with unvaccinated children: As mask requirements fade and pre-pandemic normalcy starts to return, parents with unvaccinated children have been left wondering how to protect their families. Dr. Sonja Rasmussen, University of Florida professor of pediatrics and epidemiology and a 20-year veteran with the CDC in Atlanta, has answers.
- Younger COVID-19 patients regret not getting vaccinated: Nurses who care for struggling COVID-19 patients at a Florida medical center have a message — and a warning — for teenagers, young adults and middle-aged residents. Get vaccinated.
- Pedestrian deaths increase: New data released by the Governors Highway Safety Association for 2020 shows the largest-ever annual increase in the pedestrian death rate since the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration established its Fatality Analysis Reporting System in 1975, even despite a drop in driving due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Some non-COVID things to think about
Anything else you want to know? Ask your questions here. And finally, thank you for reading. We appreciate you trusting our statewide journalists to keep you safe and informed. If you are encouraged by our work and want to support your local journalists, please consider subscribing. Know someone who would benefit from this newsletter? Forward this email so they can sign up here.
Megan’s note of the day: Some more non-COVID news I figured I’d share: The 2021 hurricane season begins June 1 and it could be another doozy. Here’s a look at NOAA’s predictions, released today. And here’s what else is happening with the coronavirus in Florida today.
— Megan Kearney, firstname.lastname@example.org